Saturday, October 22, 2011

Eye Opener: Environmental Working Group

The product I chose to find out how safe it is to use was Covergirl Lash Blast Mascara.  The overall hazard of this product was below moderate but still higher than I would have liked.  The cancer rate for this product was slightly above moderate which I found to be disturbing.  The developmental and reproductive toxicity and allergies and immunotoxicity were both below moderate.  The use restrictions were above moderate.

I have been using this product for along time and it is one of the few products that I haven't switched over to either being organic or natural, mostly because I really like the product and didn't think it could cause much damage because I only put it on my lashes.  But, after finding out what I have, I would like to find a different mascara.  It scares me to think that some of the high concerns with this product are endocrine disruption as well as, organ system toxicity.  If just mascara is this hazardous it makes me wonder about all the other products we use through out the day.

2 comments:

  1. You don't think of beauty products as being hazardous to your health because you expect that if they were bad for you than they wouldn't be on the market. In the book I am reading they talked about all the chemicals that can be in your beauty products and I just found that so alarming. Can it really be that hard to find ingredients that are not cancer causing and good for the environment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's surprising because you wouldn't think that mascara would be that harmful to your body because it only goes on your eye lashes. I think that's really interesting, I actually have a friend who uses this type of mascara and I'm going to let her know that it's harmful. I'm just glad that I don't wear much make-up very often.

    ReplyDelete