Sunday, October 30, 2011

Eye Opener: Junk on the Brain



Part 1

Antiques-  An old, collectible item.  It is collected or desirable because of its age, beauty, rarity, condition, utility, personal emotional connection, and/or other unique features. It is an object that represents a previous era or time period in human society.  Wikipedia

Antiquing-  Is a shopping activity.  Is a woodworking and decorative art technique.  Wikipedia

Junk-  Any old or discarded material, as metal, paper, or rags.  Dictionary

Junking- The art of searching or shopping for bargains, anitques, collectibles, or any concievable kind of dust collector or garbage.  Urban Dictionary

Flea Market-  A type of place where inexpensive or secondhand goods are sold or bartered.  Wikipedia

Thrift Shop-  A shop that sells secondhand goods at reduced prices.  Dictionary

Upcycling-  The process of converting waste materials or useless products into new materials or products of better quality or a higher environmental value.  Wikipedia

Resale Shop-  The selling again of something purchased.  Dictionary

Part 2

Each of the above terms deal with environmental health in the aspect that they all contribute towards a healthier environment.  When we go antiquing/junking at thrift stores and flea markets we are contributing to reusing and upcycling, helping our environment to not have as much waste and use what we already have instead of creating more waste.  

Duluth resources:
Antique Boutique- 357 Canal Park Drive, Duluth - (218) 529-7667
Vintage Duluth- 205 East Superior Street, Duluth - (218) 722-1917
Goodwill- 4883 Miller Trunk Highway, Hermantown - (218) 727-0001

I will occasionally go antiquing and go to second hand stores.  I like to find a lot of house supplies at places like 
these because it is much cheaper and there is still a lot of nice stuff that works just as well if not better.

Part 3

The first junk project that inspired me and I really like was a mirror project.  It looks very pretty and it would be fun to do, you could do a lot of different things with it.  I love mirrors and you could put something like this in any room of the house.  Elegant Mirror
The second junk project is supposedly an old grill grater of some sort.  But they turned it into a type of display board.  You could put this anywhere in your house and it would be a very practical thing to have.  Would go well in an office, as well.  Display Board
The third project deals with the use of an old ladder.  I love how many things you can do with ladders and would love to get one.  You could use it for hanging towels, displaying things, hanging it on the wall with pictures in it and all sorts of things.  Ladder


2 comments:

  1. Some second hand places that I like to go to include Ragstock and Plato's Closet. Depending on what I am I looking for I sometimes will visit Savers as well, especially when I was trying to come up with ideas for a Halloween costume. I like the elegant mirror idea. All the pictures of it made it look really cool also. I like the ladder idea as well. I also think it might make a great sandbox toy/game for kids to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah using ladders is really a neat idea. I have an old wooden ladder in my garage and I really want to turn it into something usefull.
    I'll agree with Sam in saying that Plato's Closet is a good second hand store to buy nice clothes at.
    Also, I too buy second hane kitchen items, they are usually in good shape and at least half the price!

    ReplyDelete