Friday, December 9, 2011

Share & Voice: The Story of Cosmetics

A couple of weeks ago when we watched The Story of Stuff, it made me interested in wanting to watch The Story of Cosmetics.  Since we already did an assignment about looking up personal care products in the cosmetics database I wanted to learn more about what is in the stuff we use everyday.  Watching The Story of Cosmetics was disturbing, as it often is learning about everything that goes into our personal products. 



Here are some of the facts I learned from watching this video:
-The average woman uses 12 personal care products daily, and the average man about 6.  Each product containing dozens of chemicals.
-Less than 20% of the products have been assessed for safety standards.
-Many products contain carcinogens, neurotoxins, and reproductive toxins.
-Words such as "Herbal", "Natural", and "Organic" have no legal definition.  That means anybody can put those words on their products without them actually meaning anything.
-There are no laws to get rid of these chemicals in products.
-Using these chemicals in combination with other products and their chemicals overwhelms our system.
-The FDA doesn't require all ingredients to be listed on the label in our cosmetics.
-Out of 12,000 products only 8 have been banned, not all are checked.

This was a very educational, unbiased but factual video.  It was informative and entertaining, it definitely kept my attention and people who use personal care products should watch it to see how the products could be affecting them, which is everyone....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfq000AF1i8


3 comments:

  1. Hi Bailey-

    It's very scary that we as American citizens do not reserve the right of protection when it comes to matters as such. You would think that every chemical or ingredient that is use in products would be tested for safety reasons. Learning what we have learned throughout this class just lets me know that we are out here alone, and its basically up to us to take charge of our on health in every aspect. But what's even more disturbing are those who have no inclination of what's really going on. People put a lot of faith in our governmental system, but as WE now know, we cannot allow our faith concerning these issues to rest in governmental hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bailey!
    As a result of this class, I've started to pay attention more to the stuff that I put on my skin, on my eye lids, fingernails, through my hair etc. It becomes mind boggling when I think of how many ways I can put toxins on myself and into my system. Check out my next share 'N' Voice because it's about some organic shampoo products I bought and used!!!

    I've been using this website that we used in class for a reference of cosmetics before I buy them.
    http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

    If you want to find organic, environmentally firendly cosmetics, "Essence of Health," is a health retail store up by the mall. It's in the strip mall in front of Shopko and it's next to Chico's. Whole Foods Co-Op has some pretty awesome products that are less harmful to our bodies and the environment. They've also got a clearance rack too!!!!

    In reference to your fact about the words "Herbal, Natural, Organic," this could be an opportunity for environmental policy change. It would be worth the effort make policy change for rules and regulations on marketing techniques like this.

    Overall, great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a topic that really interests me, since I use a lot of different products. I tend to feel better about a product if it's labeled as "Organic" or "Natural" but I have learned in this class and through this post that it doesn't really mean what you think it does. I have a hard time purchasing more organic stuff since it is more spendy, but I would like to try to watch the products I use better. I read Shannon's comment and I will have to check out the cosmetics at Whole Foods! It really frustrates me that companies try and make their products sound better by labeling them as something that they aren't. It's a deceiving way to get people to purchase something and feel better about it when in truth it might just be as bad as everything else. It would be great to see that changed!

    ReplyDelete